|Spoiler Alert: This page contains spoilers. Read at your own risk.|
|Full Name||Zhou Gongjin|
|Voiced By||Koji Yusa (Anime)|
|Novel||Volume 6, Chapter 1|
|Anime||Episode 19, Yokohama Disturbance I|
Zhou Gongjin (周 公瑾) is an antagonist seen throughout the series who is manipulating conflicts and problems behind the scenes.
Appearance and Personality
Zhou Gongjin is a good looking man with long hair that extends to his waist and yellow eyes. He is normally seen wearing a suit. He wishes to destroy the Yotsuba family and the Great Asian Union.
Zhou was from Dahan before it was destroyed by the Yotsuba and assimilated by the Great Asian Union. Now having to work for them, he shows no real loyalty to the Great Asian Union and is actually trying to sabotage the Great Asian Union for his own benefits. He wishes to destroy the Yotsuba Family so that he can avenge his fallen country. His boss shows the same thoughts as him.
He is the owner of a Chinese restaurant, which is his headquarters and hiding place for his boss, Jiedo Heigu. He secretly talks to his boss in the basement about their future plans and goals.
The ultimate goal of Zhou and his boss is the destruction of the Yotsuba Family. The reason is because the Yotsuba Family had destroyed Dahan that Zhou and his boss had originally belonged to. This resulted in Dahan being taken over by the Great Asian Union.
In order to achieve their ultimate goal, Zhou and his boss had begun to devise many different chronological plans:
1. Zhou had planned to manipulate the events leading up to Scorched Halloween, in order to weaken both the Great Asian Union and the Japanese Military. Zhou wished to weaken the Great Asian Union, so that binding law would weaken, which would allow Zhou more freedom of movement. Zhou wished to weaken the Japanese Military by killing a large number of combat Magicians, which would indirectly weaken the power of the Ten Master Clans.
- Results: Zhou succeeded in weakening the Great Asian Union by decreasing their military strength with the death of the Great Asian Union's Strategic-Class Magician, Liú Yúndé. This allowed Zhou more freedom of movement. However, Zhou had failed to reduce and weaken a large number of Japanese combat Magicians because of the Japanese Military obtaining a fast victory over the Great Asian Union due to the efforts of the Strategic-Class Magician, Ooguro Ryuuya.
2. Zhou had planned to increase the number of negative criticisms about Magicians with public media, in order to directly weaken the Japanese Magicians so that he can indirectly weaken the Yotsuba Family.
- Results: He had achieved the partial success of increasing negative criticisms about Combat Magicians in Japan. however, Zhou was dissatisfied that the increased criticisms didn't achieve his desired level. Zhou's plan of increasing negative criticisms had partially failed due to the efforts of First High School's demonstration on making a prototype of a Thermonuclear Fusion Reactor, the Rosen family approval of the Thermonuclear Fusion Reactor, and a broken agreement with Sawamura Yoshio on advertising negative criticisms on their public media company.
3. Zhou planned to assassinate Sawamura Maki, the daughter of Sawamura Yoshio, because of his broken agreement to advertise negative criticisms on their public media company. Zhou had Robert Sun, the son of Richard Sun, organize the assassination.
- Results: Zhou's plan to assassinate Sawamura Maki had failed completely because Shiba Tatsuya intercepted them before they began to attack Sawamura Maki's Residence.
4. Zhou planned to cooperate with the Saegusa and the Kudou Family so that he could interfere at the Nine Schools Competition without any problems. Zhou planned to interfere with the performance test of the sealed parasites in the Nine Schools Competition by driving them out of control and injure the participants, which would indirectly weaken the Yotsuba Family.
- Results: The combat servitors housing the parasites are neutralized by Shiba Tatsuya with the support from Pixie and Sakurai Minami. The test and plan are concluded to be a failure. Afterwards, Zhou had to escape while fighting against the Kuroba Family who were sent by the Yotsuba Family because of all of Zhou's effort to weaken the Yotsuba Family.
5. Zhou planned to use the Traditionalists to help him escape all the factions that were trying to kill him. Zhou has brainwashed the Traditionalists (possibly with Evil Eye), in order to obey his command without any objection.
- Results: The Traditionalists were defeated and Zhou had to run away from the Traditionalists Military Base by the combined effort of Shiba Tatsuya, Ichijou Masaki, Kudou Minoru, and members of the Yotsuba Family. Zhou fought for his life against these powerful adversaries. However, when he realized that he could not escape his situation, he used magic to make himself burst into flames which left no trace of his body to be found.
6. Zhou wants to find out the identity of the Japanese Combat Magician nicknamed "Mahesvara" by the Great Asian Union because of his constant interference with his plans.
- He has demonstrated some magical knowledge throughout events.
➨ Master Manipulator
- Zhou has shown that he is able to manipulate the events of major conflicts so that he would be able to benefit from them. Zhou uses his connections to create and manipulate conflicts, in order to achieve his goals. Also, Zhou can persuade other people into doing things for him, by redirecting their emotions and with his communication skills.
- Zhou's Special Ability that manipulates the target's direction, unrestricted by physical parameters. It is an ancient magic misdirect perception of direction. It allows him to escape from the Kuroba Family. In Vol 18 a more detailed explanation of how it works is made available.
"He chanted a short spell.
The piercing wounds on Zhou Gongjin’s skin disappeared like a time lapsed photo images (=high-speed regeneration).
“Unfortunately, this level of magic cannot kill me”
Zhou got up and sighed as he looked at his own skin. He had probably expected Nakura to have some kind of self destructive attack prepared. He had got his arms up in time to protect his face because he was watching for a water needle attack. " Volume 14, Chapter 4
True Evil Eye
➨ Shadow beast
|“|| The pair simultaneously kicked off of the ground to gain distance. Zhou took a glowing black talisman from his pocket---what he produce was an inscribed card and Nakura let loose an activation sequence from his CAD. Zhou probably had the spell on standby from the beginning. Their magics activated at the same time.
An entirely black, four-legged beast came from Zhou’s card, likely a synthetic body that imitated a dog had leaped out. The black dog instantly sprang off the ground to make a pounce straight at Nakura’s windpipe.
Ten-odd transparent needles pierced the shadowy body from below
Nakura’s leg was submerged in the river. The needles that pierced the shadow beast were fired off from the vicinity of that leg.
“Water needles, huh……”
Zhou’s eyes were able to perceive the nature of the transparent needles within the darkness.
“That was careless. It was a mistake to set the meeting at the riverbank. The “higher ground” advantage seems to be yours”
“That is magic that constructs a synthetic beast using shadows as a medium”
“Yes. The boring name is embarrassing but, my master calls it, ‘Shadow beast’. The spell is a hybrid magic that incorporates western sorcery making it too disgraceful to brag about”
“Western sorcery…...a hell hound, eh. So, I erred on ‘time’,huh. I should of at least made it a night when the moon was out”
The pair was not just carelessly exchanging discourse on techniques. As they were talking, the shadow beast was spat out of the card in Zhou had in his hand and Nakura intercepted it with the water needles.
Zhou did not appear to be composing new magic. In short, the inscribed card Zhou held probably had many more beasts stockpiled within. Despite the fact that the number was already over ten, there was no sign of the supply being exhausted. Just how many layers of magic had been piled on to that tiny card, it’s capacity seemed to have no bounds.
“However, I don’t understand”
None the less, the first to voice a question was Zhou.
Nakura’s expression did not change; he was attacking the phantom beast, Zhou had summoned mechanically. The reply, he made to Zhou, was almost completely devoid of emotion
- Zhou Gongjin is strongly based on Doctor Eggman Robotnik from the Sonic the Hedgehog series; coincidentally, Gongjin's Japanese voice actor voices the character Shadow the Hedgehog.
- His name is taken from the historical Three Kingdoms period strategist of Wu, Zhou Yu (周瑜), whose style name Gongjin (公瑾) the exact namesake used for his given name. The Japanese script uses the on'yomi reading of Zhou Yu's name in Japanese Three Kingdoms media.
- His character setting differs from the original.