|Spoiler Alert: This page contains spoilers. Read at your own risk.|
Hliðskjálf (フリズスキャルヴ) is a backdoor entrance of the system called Echelon III, an information interception network developed by the USNA — that can gather information from all over the world. There are only seven people who can access Hliðskjálf, referred to as the Seven Sages.
While the program gives vast knowledge, the users have disadvantages: the data gathered cannot be stored internally to keep the data transmission from being discovered, and there are measures taken to prevent the data from being stored externally. In addition, the search history is stored 'publicly', allowing the other Sages to see what one of them looked for.
Seven Sages (七賢人)
Information that can be Accessed
Hliðskjálf contains a vast amounts of data, and holds many highly confidential information that is extremely hard to obtain in any other way.
Only a small portion of accessed information in Hliðskjálf has been revealed:
- Jiedo Heigu is the leader of Blanche, and one of the Seven Sages.
- Information about Jiedo Heigu's family.
- Information that the USNA experimented on black holes, but the experiment went wrong and consequently released Paranormal Parasites into the world.
- Jiedo Heigu uses this system to obtain information to create attack and escape plans, during his "stay" in Japan.
- Information that Shiba Tatsuya is an unregistered Japanese Strategic-Class Magician.
- Information that politicians would be visiting First High School, in order to spread anti-magic propaganda.
- Raymond Sage Clark used this system to find out that the contents of an old depot for small missiles went missing.
|“||Rays of light became characters as the search conditions were being specified. The terminal of Hliðskjálf was operated by the user's brain waves and gestures in a VR (Virtual Reality) like environment made possible by the HMD (Head-mounted Display). The camera caught the movement of his fingertips, rays of light were projected in the virtual environment. The operator inputs the search criteria with characters of light, determining the settings with the assistance of their brain waves.||”|
—Hliðskjálf 's user interface, Volume 17, Chapter 4
- In Norse mythology, Hliðskjálf is the name of the chief god Odin's throne, which allows him to see into every realms, effectively making him omniscient.